Last updated April 1, 2021
Welcome to Capcom USA!
OUR PRIVACY COMMITMENT
Q2. What types of information do we collect about you?
Capcom respects your privacy and, accordingly, we strive to minimize our collection of your personal information. Personal information is information that can be used to directly, or indirectly with other collected information, identify and contact you. If required by applicable law, Capcom will request your specific consent prior to collecting any of your personal information. If you prefer, however, not to disclose your personal information to Capcom, you may not be able to enjoy certain features of our Services.
Our Services and European Economic Area Users
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and processing personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
Specific Affirmative Consent:
As stated above, Capcom will request your specific affirmative consent, if required by applicable law, in a clear, concise, and specific manner prior to collecting and processing your personal information.
Performance of Contract:
In some instances, we will need to collect your personal information to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services to you (e.g., pursuant to our End User License Agreement for a Service), such as by collecting your IP address to facilitate matchmaking in an online multiplayer video game, or collecting your telemetry data to display your player statistics and rankings to you.
Sometimes the law says we need to collect and process your personal information. For example, a court may order us to process your data for a particular purpose other than that for which it was initially collected.
On occasion, we may collect and process your personal information when we have a good and fair reason to use your data, and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. In other words, we may collect and process your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom, or interests.
Our Services and Children
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from users under 13 in the United States, and under the applicable age of consent in other countries ("Child" or "Children") other than as permitted by law, for example, in support of our internal operations (in the U.S.) and legitimate interests or contractual or legal obligations (in the EU). We take Children's privacy seriously and encourage parents to play an active role in their Children's online experience at all times.
If Capcom learns that a Child's personal information has been collected, we will delete the account. If parents believe that we have unintentionally collected their Child's personal information, they should contact us to request the deletion of the information at:
185 Berry Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94107
Personal Information That We Collect
To offer our users certain features of our Services, and to create certain user accounts (e.g., to create a Capcom Fighters Network account), we collect several types of personal information from you directly. Typically, this information includes:
- Username/Online ID
- E-mail address
- Date of birth/Age
- Telephone number
- Country of residence
Other times, we collect your personal information automatically when you use our Services, including sometimes through cookies. Typically, this information includes:
- IP address
- Mobile or device identifiers
- Browser information, including browser type
- Platform type
- Details about the Services you are using and your use of them, such as:
- Game telemetry data
- Purchase behavior
- User and gameplay progression information
As referenced above, please note that when purchasing merchandise and apparel from Scalefast, Inc., the personal information you provide Scalefast will be shared with Capcom USA.
Non-Personal Information That We Collect
Additionally, we may also collect other types of non-personal information (known as demographic information) such as your hobbies, occupation, game preferences, platform preferences, and other game ownership information. This demographic information may be combined with your personal information.
Information Collected Through Third Party Services
- Information Collected Through Social Networking Services
- You can engage with our Services on or through third-party social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, or other third-party social media plug-ins and applications which may be hosted on separate websites, or embedded within or integrated with our Services. Where practicable, we will provide clear notice before you are directed to a third-party social networking website, plug-in, or application. When you engage with our Services on or through a third-party social networking website, plug-in, and/or application, you may authorize us to have access to certain information from your social media profile (e.g., name, e-mail address, photo, birthday, location, your list of friends, people you follow and/or who follow you, the posts or "likes" you make) to deliver content or as part of the operation of the Service. We may also obtain non-personal information from your interaction with our Services (e.g., content viewed, game performance and scores, and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on).
- Information Collected Through First Party Platforms
- You can also engage with certain portions of our Services through certain first-party and/or mobile platforms (the “First-Party Platform(s)”). For instance, if you desire to use features of our Services by signing in through or otherwise linking with, for example, your PSN account or Steam account to authenticate yourself, some information from those First-Party Platforms (e.g., your account ID, date of birth/age, username, language preference, entitlement information, achievement/trophy information, and/or geographic information), and/or information regarding your usage of our Services (e.g., web analytics data or game telemetry data) (collectively, the “Platform Information”), which may have been collected by the First-Party Platform may be transmitted to Capcom. Further, some First-Party Platforms, such as mobile platform providers, may provide to us additional information such as your precise location or contact list information. We will collect this information only if you provide your affirmative consent.
Information Collected Through Cookies and Other Web-Based Technologies
We collect information through web-based technologies, such as “cookies,” to improve our Services. For example, when you use one of our Services, we collect your IP address. An IP address is often associated with the portal through which you enter the Internet, like your ISP (Internet Service Provider), your company, or your university. At times, we use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which our users visit various parts of our websites. At other times, we collect your IP address to facilitate location-based matchmaking in our online multiplayer Services.
- Session cookies, which only last as long as your visit to the website. Session cookies are used for things such as remembering what you put into your shopping cart as you browse a website or to ensure that your bank account information cannot be accessed after you leave the bank’s website.
- Persistent cookies, which last for a longer period of time, including in between sessions. Persistent cookies are used for things like remembering your preferences and choices when you re-visit a website or for keeping you logged in to a website.
- First- and third-party cookies, refer to the entity that is placing the cookie on your computer or device. First-party cookies are placed by the website that you are visiting; third-party cookies are placed by a third party, such as an advertising company that is posting ads on the website that you are visiting.
- We use the cookies for the following purposes:
- Strictly necessary functionality: We use several persistent cookies that which are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the website and use its features. Without these cookies, we would not be able to provide certain functions of our sites, such as automatic sign-in to Capcom-Unity.
- To provide additional functionality: To remember the settings you’ve chosen to use when viewing our site, and to tailor our site to you. For example, if you set your location to France, we know to translate the site into the French language for you.
- Analytical or Performance purposes: To measure visitor behavior, such as how many times a visitor visits the site, so that we can improve our site and provide you with a better experience.
- Depending on your choice of browser (e.g., Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), you may be able to modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it. Alternatively, you can refuse to accept cookies altogether, and you can also delete cookies that have already been set. You can do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so refer to your browser’s help menu to learn the correct way to modify your settings. However, if you turn cookies off, you will not have access to many features that make your web experience smoother, such as the features mentioned above, and some of our services may not function properly.
- To support our web pages, we sometimes also embed content from third-party websites, such as video content from YouTube. As a result, when you visit a page containing such content, you will be presented with third-party cookies from those third-party websites. Similarly, you will also see embedded ‘share’ buttons on Capcom web pages that enable users to easily share content with their friends through a number of popular social networks. When you click on one of those buttons, a cookie will be set by the service through which you have chosen to share content, such as Facebook or Twitter. Capcom does not control the placement of those cookies and you should check the relevant third-party's website for more information on how to restrict the placement of those cookies.
- When visiting Capcom's websites, the third-party cookies that may be present include, but are not limited to, these listed in the chart below.
- Cookies Used
Cookie name Source Expiry Purpose How to block _utma Google Analytics 2 years from set/update These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve our site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. You may visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB to block these cookies. Alternatively, you can change your browser settings to accept or refuse these cookies as mentioned below. _utmb Google Analytics 30 minutes from set/update _utmc Google Analytics Upon the browser closing _utmv Google Analytics 2 years from the visitor's last visit _utmz Google Analytics 6 months from set/update
- Other Web Technologies
- California “Do Not Track” Disclosure
Q3. How is your personal information used and shared?
We use your personal and non-personal information, both individually and in the aggregate, in the following ways:
To operate our business and to enhance and personalize your game experience, including to:
- Operate, improve, and develop our games and Services;
- Enable online matchmaking and provide online statistic tracking;
- Help you find your friends or tell your friends about a Service;
- Facilitate sharing on social networks;
- Serve and measure the effectiveness of advertising;
- Measure the health of our Services;
- Set up and maintain accounts you register for;
- Provide game experiences that you may like;
- Set up loyalty programs;
- Identify, fix, and troubleshoot bugs and service errors;
- Provide software updates;
- Adhere to your preferences and to deliver dynamic content; and
- Help keep our Services safe and fair, resolve disputes, investigate and help curb fraud and illegal behavior, comply with the law, and to enforce our agreements and policies.
To provide you support, including to:
- Help identify and troubleshoot problems with your use of our Services;
- To survey your opinions through surveys or questionnaires;
- Communicate with you and respond to your specific requests or questions; and
- Manage and send you confirmations and important information about your account, products, purchases, subscriptions, and warranties.
To personalize our communications with you, including to:
- Present offers and/or information relating to Services you might like;
- Make recommendations to you; and
- Personalize advertising for you and deliver targeted marketing newsletters, service updates, and promotional offers.
Capcom USA Activities and Updates
Information collected from those who voluntarily submit it to us is used to provide services like newsletter subscriptions, updates on special events, game news, and e-mail announcements of interest to our users, as well as to provide our users with exclusive content, awards, prizes, and/or access to special promotions. You may opt-out of such services by following the process set forth in Q8 below.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes, such as operational uses necessary to conduct our business or provide the Services. For example, we may use your information to send you administrative communications either about your account with us or about features of our Services.
Aggregated and Anonymous Information
For practical reasons, we treat personal information submitted to us in an employment context differently from information we receive in other contexts. Personal information submitted to us in an employment context (e.g., employment applications and resumes) may be shared with third parties, depending on the nature of the inquiry.
Purchase or Sale of Businesses
Third Party Processing
No Third Party Marketing
Without your consent, our company does not share and has not reserved the right to rent or sell your personal or demographic information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Automated Decision Making
Capcom does not use your personal information in any form of automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning you, or which may similarly significantly affect you.
Disclosures Required By Law and Disclosures to Help Protect the Security and Safety of Our Services and Others
We will disclose personal information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law (e.g., court order or subpoena) or to help:
- Enforce our Terms of Service or contests, sweepstakes, eSports tournaments, promotions, or game rules;
- Protect your safety or security, including the safety and security of your property; or
- Protect the safety and security of our Services or third parties.
Q4. What are your California Privacy Rights?
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our customers who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. However, as previously stated, we do not share information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If you still have inquiries regarding our disclosure policy, please contact us at:
185 Berry Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94107
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT OF 2018
Categories of Personal Information Collected
In the chart below, we identify each category of personal information that we have collected about our users in the last 12 months using the categories enumerated in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). If we have collected that category of personal information in the last 12 months, an “X” appears in the corresponding row in the second column of the chart.
|Categories of Personal Information
|Collected (in the last 12 months)
|Unique personal identifier (e.g., device ID, ad ID, IP address, etc.)
|Account or policy number (e.g., banking, insurance, credit, etc.)
|Government ID number (e.g., SSN, driver’s license, passport, etc.)
|Physical characteristics or description
|Professional or employment-related information
|Commercial information (e.g., purchase history)
|Internet or other electronic network activity information (e.g., browsing or search history, interaction with an online service, etc.)
|Electronic, olfactory, thermal, or similar information
|Inferences drawn from any of the above information to create a profile
Personal Information Collection and Use
See the Capcom USA Online Privacy Statement, “Q2. What types of information do we collect about you?”. for more information on the sources of personal information collected and the purposes for which information is used.
No Sale of Personal Information
For purposes of the CCPA, Capcom has not sold personal information relating to California residents in the last 12 months.
Rights of California Residents
Right to Know:
If you are a California resident, you may submit, free of charge, but no more than twice in a 12-month period, a verifiable request for the following information:
- The specific pieces of personal information we have about you;
- The categories of personal information we collected, sold, or disclosed for a business purpose about you within the last 12 months;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The purposes for which the information was collected or sold; and
- The categories of third parties to whom the information was sold, disclosed for a business purpose, or otherwise shared.
If possible, we will provide this information to you in a readily usable format that allows transmission to another entity.
Right to Delete:
If you are a California resident, you may submit a verifiable request for us to delete any personal information we have collected about you. To submit a request, please email us at email@example.com or use our online webform located at http://capcom.com/ccpa/. Email requests must include “Your California Privacy Rights” in the subject field. Within 10 days of receipt, we will confirm receipt of your request. We will provide a substantive response within 45 days, unless we need more time, in which case we will notify you. If we need additional information to verify your identity, we will contact you to request that information. If we are not able to verify your identity, we will deny your request to delete. If we deny your request, even if only in part, we will explain the reason in our response. Please see section Q3. How is your personal information used and shared? “Forums, Blogs, and Message Boards” for additional information on deleting information on our blogs and message boards.
Right to be Free from Discrimination:
We may not discriminate against you because you have chosen to exercise your rights, including, for example, by denying you access to our online services or charging you different rates or prices for the same online services, unless that difference is reasonably related to the value provided by your data.
Exercising Your Rights:
To submit a verifiable request or to otherwise contact us for more information about how to exercise your rights, please follow the instructions above.
If you would like to designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, please be sure the agent is able to (i) demonstrate you have provided written permission for the agent to submit the request on your behalf, and (ii) provide proof of his or her own identity. If the agent does not satisfy these requirements, we will deny the request.
Q5. What kinds of security measures do we take to safeguard your personally identifiable information?
The security and confidentiality of your information is extremely important to us. We have technical, administrative, and physical security measures in place to protect your personal information from unauthorized access and improper use. We also review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. But, despite our best efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable. Specific security measures we currently implement to prevent unauthorized physical or electronic access to users' personal and demographic information include:
- User data is stored behind a firewall to protect your data from unauthorized access or against loss, misuse, or alteration.
- Data is stored in a secure physical environment (e.g. behind locked doors).
- Data is stored in a database accessible to authorized employees on a need-to-know basis only.
- Users or employees must have a unique password before gaining access to user data.
- We use industry-standard encryption technology when transferring or receiving sensitive personal information.
- We maintain written security policies to which all employees must adhere.
Q6. How can you update your personal information and profile for web-based Services?
You can access and update the personal information you gave us during registration (that is, your e-mail address or any other information that would directly enable us to contact you) by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may update the information in your profile by logging in to your account and visiting your account settings.
185 Berry Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94107
Any personal information you provide to the above e-mail and postal mail addresses will not be used to send you promotional materials, unless you request it.
Capcom is a member of the ESRB's Privacy Certified Program. If you believe that we have not properly responded to your inquiry, please contact the ESRB at http://www.esrb.org/privacy/contact, or email@example.com
Q8. How can you access and control the use of your personal information?
Capcom provides you choices when it comes to the collection and use of your personal information. For example, you can choose to opt-in or opt-out of marketing emails. If you would like to opt-out at any time after granting consent, contact us at:
185 Berry Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94107
You also may adjust your browser settings to block certain online tracking, such as cookies.
European Union/European Economic Area Users
Users residing in certain countries, including the EU/EEA users, are afforded certain additional rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information; request a portable copy of your personal information; or otherwise object to or restrict how we use your personal information.
You may exercise your rights concerning your personal information at any time. To exercise your personal data rights, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Subject Access Request" in the subject field. Before we process any request, we may ask you for certain personal information in order to verify your identity. Where permitted by local law, we may reject requests that are unreasonable or impractical. We will respond to your requests within a reasonable timeframe.
Q10. How is information treated when it is collected from non-US residents?
For personal information transferred from a European Union or European Economic Area member country or Switzerland to the United States, Capcom will provide adequate protection for such data in compliance with applicable legal standards.
185 Berry Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94107
You can also contact to our Data Protection Officer by sending an email to: email@example.com. If a European Union, European Economic Area, or Swiss individual’s complaint cannot be resolved through our internal process, we will cooperate with JAMS pursuant to the JAMS International Mediation Rules, available on the JAMS website. Mediation shall be conducted in English and shall take place in the City and County of San Francisco in the State of California before one mediator selected in accordance with such rules and procedures. All documents submitted to such mediation shall be in English. JAMS mediation may be commenced as provided for in the relevant JAMS rules, and at no cost to you.
Our data protection representative within the EEA is:
Capcom Entertainment Germany GmbH
Borselstraße 20, 22765 Hamburg, Germany